Thursday, January 24, 2013

new top from leftovers

When I helped out my sister-in-law by shortening 2 dresses, I was left with these interesting off cuts. Both were hemmed on the bottom, and the stripped one was hemmed at the sides since the skirt had splits.

I started by joining the 2 pieces togther with the overlocker, then hand stiched the shoulder seams together. I gathered them slightly to make the shoulder more interesting and hide the hand stitching.

Then I cut away to excess at the waist to make it more fitted.

 I was a bit worried about the neckline, because I don't usually like things up on my throat, but the stipes seemed to dictate the neckline be left alone.
Now that I have worn it a few times I find this neckline is ok, because its not restrictive, so I'm quite happy with a neat top I got for free!!


5 comments:

Brenda C. said...

This is very cute. Great refash!

MadameRenard said...

Love it! Great idea for me, too (I have some leftovers of knit fabric and now I know how to use them, thank you!!!)

Cucicucicoo said...

Cute! Nice job reusing seemingly useless scraps! :) lisa

Andrea said...

Such a cute outcome! Hunting through my scraps to make mine today :) thanks for the inspiration!

La La Lauren!!! said...

Wow this is a lovely top! Thanks for some great inspiration!

LaLaLauren EOD