Thursday, April 12, 2012

homage to the ruffle top

Here is my first attempt at the lovely shirts by
chic envelopments

I was given this top when I was pregnant recently. I loved the colour but it was so frumpy i didnt wear it once!
I turned it inside out and pinned to get a more figure hugging top, redid the neck line, and followed Beth's wonderful tut to do the ruffles.

I'm pretty happy with it and at least I'll wear it now!

I made the mistake of taking the sides in a bit too much at the hips , so it rides up a bit. Next time i'll put more curve in. I was having problems as the top was a bit stretched and i think there was a bit more fabric in the front being a maternity top. The breastfeeding has given me an - ahem - enhanced shape that is only temporary!!

I used the sides i cut off and a bit along the bottom to make the ruffles. That's why there are 2 different widths but it didn't seem to matter.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ruffles really do change an entire garment for the better, this is really pretty

Erica EOD

Sandy said...

This is good.
If you thought you wanted more room in the hip area, and you liked slightly shorter sleeves, you could use that to help.
1.take some length from the sleeves
2.open the side seams a bit.
3.make ruffles from the excess sleeve bits
4.add to edges of side seam slits.

just a thought.
Sandy in the UK

concretenprimroses said...

Its lovely!
Kathy

The Renegade Seamstress said...

Oh that turned out so cute! I love seeing what people do with the tutorials. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your project.
Happy Thursday!
Beth