Saturday, March 25, 2017

Dress to tunic refashion

Before viscose dress with bell sleeves

I was given this dress last year but didn't really have a plan for it.

I don't like bell sleeves, they get in the way so I started by getting rid of them and using one as a neckline enhancement.

In progress neckline

I unpicked the neckline binding and re-attached it incorporating the bell sleeve as a sort of frill, which also made the neck a bit smaller.

There have been a few posts about tunics lately so I decided this dress would become one, by chopping an appropriate amount off the length, adding some side tab openings and making the sleeves elbow length.

There are more photos and details here

Finished tunic

It made good holiday wear.








#59 Back to School Wardrobe: Laura Ashley Jacket to Spring Best Vest

REFLECTIONS:  I love to thrift!!!
  • My goal is not buy any thrifted or new clothes for this school year.
  • Ya'll are posting great inspirations tempting me to thrift. 
  • Spring and change of season are tempting me to thrift.
  • Eight months down. I can do this !!! Back to the stash!!!
BEFORE: Thrifted Laura Ashley jacket, a pricey label I like.
  • In the Re-fashion Stash
  • Brocade fabric, lining, and workmanship are higher end than I like to pay for new.
STEPS:
  • I serged seams when first opened. This step stabilized fabrics while reassembling. And helped keep slippery lining fabric from crawling away.
  • Remove sleeves. Cut side insert to enlarge vest and lining.
  • This was a tiny petite, so not much trimming in armcycle for my narrow shoulders.  
  • Drop arm seam 1/2” to make room for layering. And to make it less like a jacket with no sleeve, but more vest-like.
  • Cut facing from t-shirt scraps.
AFTER: Best Vest for Spring Special Occasions.
  • Reserved for wear for graduations, Easter, etc.
  • Can dress up or down. 
AFTER: Best Vest for Spring

Light Weight Brocade
Dress up or Down

Large on small dress form

AFTER: With side insert


Light Weight t-shirt facing


Serge in the beginng to stabilize

Serge to stabilize slippery lining
Quality, light weight brocade
Love quality in this this Brand

BEFORE: Thrifted. Small petite.





A bit more on my jeans refashion

A couple people asked about the jeans refashion I posted.
First, I cut the jeans down the side seams, and cropped them in length (orange lines).
Then I pinned the fronts together and cut a random shape off (green line).
I used that cut off piece as a template for my contrast denim (grey shape), adding a couple of inches along the straight side to upsize the jeans. I also added a couple inches on the top edge to fold over at the waist.
When I stitched the contrast pieces on, I completely messed up at hip level.
After a bit of swearing and a coffee, I chopped off the narrow straight bit from hip to waist, and stitched on separate pieces. I was on the verge of giving up as I now had two sloppy looking joins, so I used the cut off pieces from the leg length to fudge together a couple of half pockets to disguise the mess. I topstitched a lot (not perfectly, sadly).

Hope that makes it a little clearer. Thank you for the kind comments, my fellow refashioners - you all inspire me!


Friday, March 24, 2017

The world's longest sleeves

This knitted suit jacket/cardigan is probably my best thrift shop find so far. I loved it right away, when I found it. Looked at the tag: An Odd Molly! And it was as new.
It just had one problem, which maybe also was why it ended up in a thrift shop: It had extremely long sleeves.

Now, I do have short arms, but this was crazy. Look, sleeve monkeys.... I had to shorten the sleeves.

The inside edge of the sleeves was very nice, so I decided to shorten the sleeves the way, you also commonly shorten jeans, if you want to keep the original hem,
It is easiest to show in a picture. You sew along the red line, cut of the excess and finish the raw edge.
I also hand sewed that inside seam to one side, to make it lie flat inside the sleeve.


A lot better. And perfect transistion wear for our spring, when weather constantly changes and the temperatures fluctuates wildly.



Forcing my sewing and refashion mood back

Hey everyone. So sorry, it's been a while since my last post.

My sewing  mojo has been low for way too long, and all through this time I've been wanting to do things, but my body would just not respond to my wishes. Pdf pattern tests are my way to get me doing something. Having a deadline to complete a piece makes me actually start and finish something. That was the reason I've recently tested the Arthur Chinos pattern for Suco by Susana. 


Of course, when I have anything to sew, my first source for fabric is my to be refashion pile of clothes. So far I am getting away with it, since my youngest is still two years old and I can fit shorts and pants pattern pieces into adult sized (larger sizes only) ones. That said, that's just what I did for his newest Chino shorts, with summer in mind already. This is a first test for the pattern, which has been recently released, and even though it was the first test, it was already perfect. I am in love with them. I used  a man's pair of pants (pictured above) for ths refashion. I made size 3, which is the smallest one in the pattern, he's still wearing 18M-24M when it comes to bottoms, but I guess he'll grow a little until it's good weather for them.


If you want to read more about this refashion, come by House of Estrela for a visit.